Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Tutorial Tuesday

How to Clean Oil Cloth Bibs
(Like the ones from Target) 


We buy a set of these bibs from Target at least once every other month.  I'm sure if you do the same, you notice that they become stinky and sticky, even if you wash them really well after every use. Being married to a bio-chemist, I know about far more about bacteria than I'd like to know... including how bacteria stays on things like these bibs.  Gross...

Since washing them in the washing machine (I've tried) is not recommended, I've asked myself how I could get them extra clean to make them last longer and make sure my kids aren't wearing a cloak of bacteria.  

It dawned on me... the dishwasher.  High temps, sanitizer, soap, cleanliness.  So I gave it a shot.  I tried it on bibs that we were about to get rid of anyhow, just in case they melted or something.  

So I put the bibs on the top shelf of the dishwasher, on top of a bunch of other things.  I started the normal wash with sanitation, and waited....



The result?  They smell great, are super clean, and in great shape.  We do this at least once a week and they last so much longer.  You will have to let them dry outside of the dishwasher, of course.

Any questions?  Please feel free to ask in the comment box!  Thanks!     

No comments:

Post a Comment