Monday, September 17, 2012

Eleanor, my 3 year old.

In honor of my sweet Eleanor, who is turning 3 today.  


{The story of Eleanor}


On my due date, September 14th,  I spoke with a doctor (Not my doctor.  No, my doctor was on vacation...) who told me he would like to induce me 4 days later if she hadn't already come.  They were worried about her weight, and my size.   

Lo and behold, she hadn't come on her own. 

After a great night's sleep a terrible night of anxiety and no sleep, I called into the labor and delivery floor to see if they would, in fact, induce me that day.  "Yep, come on in, we've got a room ready for you!"  My heart began to pound.  I gently woke, oh, who are we kidding, I yelled at Matt to get his butt out of bed and get ready to go.  We packed up the car, and took our last pregnancy photo. 


We headed to the hospital and got settled in.  At 7 a.m. I was told my Cervidil (a pill to start contractions) would be up in a few minutes.  A few hours later.. it finally arrived.  Contractions began around 9:45 a.m. We were hopeful that it wouldn't take long.  My spirits were high, so I went on walks, bounced on my yoga ball, and did plenty of squats.  

Around 1:15, the doctor checked my cervix, and I was still only at a 2.  A little while later, they broke my water to get things moving faster. 

At around 3:30, not much had changed except that the contractions were becoming very painful.  I asked if I could have an epidural soon, and was given one around 5 p.m.  It didn't hurt at all to get it, and after it kicked in, I felt nothing.  My legs felt like they were a thousand pounds.  It. Was. Awesome.


I was told that if Ellie hadn't come before 4 a.m, I would have to have a c-section.   We just prayed that she would come before then. 

Around 7:45, they checked my cervix, and I was only at a 4.  

We waited.  And waited, and waited, and waited.  We watched The Office season premiere and Friends, and played Uno.  I even slept for a while. (I told you, I couldn't feel a thing.)

At 11:15, I was asked if would like some pitocin since I had not yet progressed any further.  I hadn't wanted Pitocin since the statistics were so high that I would likely end up with a c-section.  There was one main goal here, to vaginally deliver a healthy baby. 

I said yes.  But I only wanted a "titch."  The nurse said, "Well, a titch isn't a medical measurement, but I will give you the smallest dose possible."  (I didn't find this funny in the moment...)  After she injected the pitocin, I immediately felt my contractions.  They upped my epidural dose, and the contractions came faster and harder. 

Was this doing any good?  We would soon see, I suppose. 

At 1:30, the nurse checked me and said, "Abi, Abi, wake up!  It's time to push!"  I was at a 10, and ready to go.  (Yes, you did just read correctly, I was basically sleeping as my nurse checked me.)   I was so tired of being in labor.  We were now at a solid 15 hours of labor, and I was beat.  

Matt and my nurse sat me up as my body started to convulse.  The nurse said it was totally normal as I had very high adrenaline at that point.  The doctor arrived just in time, and the entire room changed.  Everyone put their garb on as the prepared everything, including the bed where my baby would soon lay.  I looked over and saw her little hat and blanket as tears welled up when I had realized how soon she would be there, in my arms. 

Something that I remember very clearly about my late stage of labor with Eleanor is when my doctor (of course the doctor on call was the very attractive young male doctor) put his "garb" on, including these huge goggles.  I remember I made a joke about him wearing those "super cool goggles" all the time, even at home, not just when he's delivering babies.  I distinctly remember him looking at me, probably thinking, "Umm, I'm staring at your hoo-hoo right now... now's not the time to be making fun of me."  

Moving on...

The nurse and Matt held my legs up and the nurse told me to tell her when I felt a contraction because I would be able to feel them before the machine could read them.  I laughed a little in my head because, really, I couldn't feel anything at all.  I told her I would try.  So, it began.  I pushed.  I pushed and I pushed.  

Soon after pushing, my doctor said Eleanor's heart rate was a little low, so I had to wear an oxygen mask.  I pushed a few more times, and after about 45 minutes of pushing, the doctor said, "She's almost here.  Give me one more big push!"  

I took a deep breath, and as hard as I could, I pushed Ellie into the world.  At 2:17 a.m., Ellie made her arrival.  I heard a little tiny, raspy cry and there she was.  They handed her immediately to me.  She gave out one more little cry, and then looked up at me.  Her eye lids slowly opened and closed as she stared me in the eyes.  It was love. 


A few minutes after gazing, she nursed for almost an hour.  She was a pro at it from the start.  They then took her to do her tests and to give her her first bath.  I took a bath as well, and passed out in a wheel chair.  (no joke.)  I hadn't eaten for a total of 30 some hours, so my energy was definitely low. 

We got to our room where we would stay for 2 days at around 4:30 a.m.  We all rested and enjoyed visitors.  We headed home with her a 2 days later, and the rest is history. 






{Happy Birthday}

Eleanor, 
You are the love of my life.  You are so smart, and funny.  You are constantly wanting to learn and do things on your own, and you tell the best jokes ever.  You are incredibly sensitive, and are always worried about others.  You are generous and kind, and love to help.  
You test me beyond measure most days, and that only leads me to believe that you are going to turn into an amazing woman.  You have a very, very strong will.  You know what you want, when you want it.  
You love being a big sister, but you also really love to have time to yourself.  You love to be around your grandmas and auntie Anna the most.  Your favorite color is pink, and you love anything Disney Princess right now.  You are learning to write and have asked me to start teaching you how to read.  You love to dance in your ballet class, and love hanging out with your friends in the church nursery.   You have many friends and honestly get out of sorts when you haven't seen them in a few days.  You are definitely an extrovert.  
I don't know what I would do without you, Ellie.  God blesses me every day through you.  I love you more than words could ever say, sweet pea.  I can't believe you're turning 3 already.  You are such a big girl. 
Happy birthday, Bubs.  You're awesome.  Love you! 
-Mom

1 comment: