Monday, July 16, 2012

Recipe Monday- Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oats & Apples

Soooo.... I meant to make this for my family this past weekend.  Do I?  Well... no.  See, my 10 month old daughter just got over a nice bout of teething and sickness, and now she's getting her 5th & 6th teeth in so she's been up 4 or 5 times a night.  When Dad goes in there, she cries even harder.  So, it's all about me.  I'm exhausted, my friends.  So, so tired.
So, this was made for this morning.  I have to admit my husband LOVED being able to grab a bowl before he headed off to work at 6 a.m.  (he usually grabs a pop tart or...err...cookie.)  This site also suggests putting the left overs in masjon jars to save for later.  Which, is what I did so that both my husband and my daughters could have the leftovers tomorrow morning.  My kids absolutely loved this.  My oldest (almost 3) doesn't really like oatmeal, but she loved this.  My youngest (almost 1) loves oatmeal, and couldn't get enough of the apples in it. 
I give the recipe a thumbs up and hope you enjoy it as well! 

Thanks to The Yummy Life for the recipe

Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oats & Apples 
(photo from The Yummy Life) 

Ingredients
  • 2 apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2-1/2 to 3 cups chopped)
  • 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
  • 1-1/2 cups water
  • 1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1-1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into 5-6 pieces (optional)
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • Optional garnishes: chopped nuts, raisins, maple syrup, additional milk or butter
Directions
Coat inside of 3-1/2 quart (or larger) slow cooker with cooking spray. Add all ingredients (except optional toppings) to slow cooker. Stir, cover, and cook on low for 7 hours. Spoon oatmeal into bowls; add optional toppings, if desired. Store leftovers in refrigerator. Freezes well.

To reheat single servings: Put 1-cup cooked oatmeal in microwave proof bowl. Add 1/3 cup fat-free milk. Microwave on high for 1 minute; stir. Continue cooking for another minute, or until hot.

Recipe can be doubled in 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Increase cooking time 1 hour.

Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 4 pts per 3/4 cup serving 
{My Family's Weekly Menu}
Monday: tater tot hotdish, biscuits, salads
Tuesday: honey mustard chicken sandwiches (grilled) with sweet potato fries with a chile mayo dipping sauce
Wednesday: Crock pot southwestern stuffed peppers, taco chips and guacamole
Thursday: steak kabobs (peppers, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes and zucchini) with grilled potatoes
Friday: Pizza with my Mom at her hotel room (followed by swimming!)
Saturday: Como Zoo with my Mom and brother
Sunday: Balsamic chicken & peppers, roasted potatoes and spinach salad

No comments:

Post a Comment