Monday, July 9, 2012

Recipe Monday- Healthy Zucchini Muffins

Happy Monday! 

I've been searching for healthy but fun recipes for my kids.  I found these awesome muffins on Pinterest the other day and had to make them.  They were a total success in my house.  We eat them for breakfast and for snacks.  When I gave one of the regular muffins (no chocolate chips) to my 9 month old, her face lit up and she smiled so big.  My 2 year old fell in love with the ones that I put mini chocolate chips (of course!) and my husband took them with for breakfast on his work days.  The thing that I love about them is that there is barely anything unhealthy in here.  Besides the 3/4 c. of  sugar (to a 24 mini muffin, and 6 large muffin ratio) it is all good stuff like zucchini, apple sauce, wheat flour, and free range eggs! We will definitely be making these again! 

Thanks Emily Bites for this awesome recipe!




{Light Zucchini Muffins}
Ingredients:
1 ½ c white whole wheat flour
¾ c of sugar
1 t baking soda
1 t ground cinnamon
½ t salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
½ c unsweetened applesauce
¼ c skim milk
1 T fresh lemon juice
1 t vanilla extract
1 c shredded zucchini
¼ c miniature semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:

1.    Preheat the oven to 350. Line 12 muffin cups with cupcake liners or lightly mist the muffin tin with cooking spray.
2.    In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and stir until mixed.
3.    In a medium bowl, combine the egg, applesauce, milk, lemon juice and vanilla. Stir until mixed.
4.    Pour the bowl of wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and stir until combined, forming a moist batter. Fold in the zucchini and chocolate chips.
5.    Spoon the batter evenly into the liners. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.




{Our family's menu this week} 
 I'm having to be creative lately with it being SO hot in MN.  This week is supposed to be cooler (even though 87 isn't cool to me...) so we are still going to try to stay away from the oven and utilize the stove/grill/slow cooker.  Do you have any good hot summer recipes that you can share?  

Monday: Sister-in-law's birthday party (ribs, pasta salad, cornbread)
Tuesday: Crock pot stuffed peppers
Wednesday: BLTA sandwiches, chips and dip
Thursday: taco salads
Friday: Sesame chicken, brown rice, broccoli
Saturday: mushroom risotto with chicken, salad and rolls
Sunday: free day

1 comment:

  1. I'm thinking that I'm going to try these! I have so much zucchini from my garden right now that this would be a good use for some of them

    ReplyDelete