Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Tutorial Tuesday- More about Meal Planning

I've gotten a lot of comments about the past few posts on Meal Planning. 


How are you all doing?  What victory stories do you have to share?  Did you find that it was easier than you thought, or more difficult?  Please share your comments on your experience thus far in the comment form below!  I'd love to hear feedback! 


I am going to be doing a more formal series on meal planning since I've heard from so many people on the topic.  Please ask questions that I can answer in the series!  Again, I love the feedback!

Grocery Delivery Companies:  A Mom's little secret!

So, this week I learned something new in my adventure of meal planning.  It may not apply to all of you, but I'm sure you can find something similar in your area.  A lot of my friends had been telling me about a grocery delivery company that brings the food right to your doorstep in the Twin Cities area.  How awesome is that?  Yes, yes... I thought about the prices and delivery fees as well. How can it be worth it?  I thought we wouldn't be able to afford it.  WRONG.

CobornsDelivers has very similar prices to the places that I normally shop.  Some of their items were a little more expensive, but others were cheaper.  For instance, I usually get Market Pantry chicken breasts from Target, which usually costs 6.99.  Coborns doesn't have a store brand, so I got Golden Plump chicken breasts for 10.99.  On the other hand, I also got Cherub tomatoes for 2.50, which are usually 4.75 at Target.  The delivery fee, if ordered the day prior or more, is only $5!  Because it was my first order, the delivery fee was waived, and I got $20 off my purchase.  My budgeted amount for our family's weekly grocery bill is $65.  (I know, it's tight for a family of 4, but I do it every week and we eat like kings... it just takes work!) I got everything that was on my grocery list, plus a few treats to make the required amount to use the $20 off coupon, for $64.89!  How awesome is that?! 

My food hasn't been delivered yet.  I am here waiting for it to come to my doorstep this afternoon.  I am thrilled to see if the website offered their information correctly.  When ordering items such as produce and meat, Coborn's specifies how fresh their "crop" is for the day.  For example, my red bell pepper was at "best" today, and my bananas are the 3rd level of green, which was in the middle of very green, and very yellow.  I also was able to choose the size of my potatoes, and onions!  I'm amazed!

One thing I was worried about was whether or not I'd be able to get certain items like Apple Cinnamon Cheerios and red pepper flakes, but I was able to get both.  I was able to get literally everything that I would have gotten at Target, with the exception of the Target Brand items.  Do you know how much easier it is to go into Target and buy 5 pouches of baby food and paper plates?  Yes! 

Best part of the whole grocery delivery system?  Eliminating temptation.  Yep, I can't walk around the store and pick up curtains, 2 little girls' dresses, snacks, and a starbucks coffee just because I'm there and these things are on sale.  I spent my budgeted amount, then closed my computer and fed my kids their breakfasts.  That was it. 

I will let you know next week how my delivery went and if the item specifications were correct.  I can't wait! 

Enjoy your Tuesday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment