Monday, April 2, 2012

Recipe Monday-

Matt and I have made a choice to eat healthier since he's doing the Tough Mudder in May, and  I simply would not like to look like a plump woman in my bathing suit this summer.  So, I have been looking up some recipes for some yummy salads and healthy food.
I am in love with Six Sister's Stuff blog!  Theier food photos are everywhere in pinterest!  I'm never surprised when I see something that looks delicious and when I click on the link, it brings be to their blog.
We tried this salad on Friday night and loved it!  My husband isn't a huge fan of sweet salads, so I let him have vinaigrette dressing rather than the poppy seed dressing. 




Ingredients
*6 to 8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
*2 medium apples, chopped (pears are also delicious if you want to use those)
*1 cup dried cranberries (Craisins)
*1 cup chopped walnuts (pecans or almonds are also a yummy substitution)
*8 slices bacon, crisp-cooked and crumbled (we used turkey bacon- use what you want)
*4 to 6 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
*1-2 grilled chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
*3/4 cup Poppy seed Salad Dressing (I like Brianna's)
*1/4 cup Balsamic Vinaigrette (I used store brand because it tastes just the same to me)

Directions
*In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, apples, cranberries, walnuts, bacon, chicken and feta cheese.
*In a smaller bowl, combine poppy seed dressing with balsamic vinaigrette. Drizzle over salad right before serving. If you prefer your salad to have more dressing, feel free to experiment with the combination.
(This salad makes enough for about 6-8 servings. If you are not going to be eating it all in one sitting, only put dressing on what you will be eating or it will get all soggy.) 

How I adapted the recipe:  
 -I used precooked bacon 
-I used almonds instead of walnuts, since walnuts are waaaayyyy too expensive. 
-I added fresh spinach into the greens to add more iron. 

Delicious!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment