Monday, April 16, 2012

Recipe Monday-Quiche

I'll admit, I have always been terrified to make quiche.  I don't know why... a lot of people say its one of the easiest things to make?  I guess I was just afraid that it would come out burnt, or deflated, gooey or just plain gross.  


Yeah, I was wrong.  It's easy.  Easy enough for me, which means it's really easy!  And yummy!  My husband who doesn't even like quiche loves the bacon & gouda quiche that I made!  I am planning to make a few of these for a shower that I am throwing in a little over a week.  It will be a brunch, so, we have to have quiche. 


I tried my hand at a few before, just in case all of my fears came true, and they turned out great!  I did a mixture of a few recipes, but the egg mixture seems to be pretty similar in all of the recipes.  You can add all of the things you want, just make sure the veggies, meats and cheeses aren't really moist.  (Like spinach, makes sure to press and drain it before you add it.) 

Anyway, here is my quiche recipe. 




Bacon & Smoked Gouda Quiche
Ingredients: 
1 pie crust (I am going to try to make my Mother-in-law's famous pie crusts next week, but I had success with Marie Calendar's frozen crusts for my practice quiche)
4 eggs
1 c. half & half (I used heavy cream because I heard it lifts higher, they are right!)
3 oz. bacon bits (in the bag, not the jar)
1/4 cup of shredded parmesan
1/4 cup of shredded smoked gouda
salt & pepper to taste

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  In unthawed pie crust, place bacon bits and cheeses on the bottom.  In separate bowl mix eggs, cream and salt & pepper.  Pour on top of bacon and cheese mixture in the crust.  Place in oven for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 for an additional 30-35 minutes or until the top turns brown.  Add foil around the edge of the pie crust to eliminate the risk of over-cooking them. 


Spinach & Mushroom Quiche
Ingredients: 
1 pie crust
4 eggs
1 cup of cream
3/4 cup of shredded parmesan cheese
1/2 cup of cooked, drained and pressed spinach (you can use thawed frozen spinach)
1/2 cup of sauteed baby bella mushrooms.
salt & pepper to taste
optional: add chopped artichokes hearts as well

Directions: 
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  In unthawed pie crust place the mushrooms, spinach, cheese (and artichokes if you chose to put them in) in separate bowl, mix eggs, cream, and salt and pepper.  Pour egg mixture over the vegetables and cheese in the crust.  Place in oven for 15 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 350 and bake for an additional 30-35 minutes.  Place foil around edges of the crust to eliminate the risk of over cooking them.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment