Monday, April 9, 2012

Recipe Monday- Baby food

Now that I've had my series on packaged baby foods, I thought I'd post my favorite baby food puree recipes.  

My pastor said something funny at church this morning, and I have to share.  He said something like, "You want to be that person who eats all organic food, wears the nicest clothes, make flaxseed organic fruit baby food for your kids, pay all of your bills ahead of time, drive a nice eco friendly car, etc.....but, it's too hard.  No one can do that.  No one. And it doesn't even matter!" 

I laughed really hard out loud when he said this, and thought...Ok, thank God I'm not the only one who doesn't always make their own baby food.  I do enjoy it, but come on... 

Here are a few of my favorite baby food puree recipes.  
Let me know if you have any questions! 




Beef & Onion Puree (6 month +)
Ingredients: 
1 lb. beef
2T minced onion (I use yellow)
1/4 c. beef broth 

Directions:
Cook beef and onions in pan, drain grease.  Add broth to mixture and  puree with a blender, food processor, bullet, or other device.  Freeze in ice cube trays and store frozen in air tight container. Let thaw in room temperature, or warm 2-3 cubes in microwave in glass dish for 30-45 seconds. 

Creamed Spinach Puree- 6 months+
Ingredients: 
1-2T water
1 lb. Spinach
1 t. butter
1 t.  flour
1/3 c. fat free cream or any kind of milk you have
optional: 1/4 cup of chicken broth

Directions: 
In a large saucepan, wilt spinach in water for 2-3 minutes in medium heat.  Remove spinach from pan.  Melt butter, and sprinkle flour over it.  Whisk mixture until lumps form.  Pour fat free cream or milk and whisk until thickened, about 1-2 minutes.  Place spinach back in the pan and mix everything together.  If spinach is really thicken add chicken broth to puree.  Puree in food processor, blender, bullet, or other device until smooth in texture.  Freeze in ice cube trays and store frozen in air tight container. Let thaw in room temperature, or warm 2-3 cubes in microwave in glass dish for 30-45 seconds. 


Apple Pie Puree 6 months+
Ingredients: 
3-4 large apples (we love Honey Crisp apples in our house.) 
1 serving of instant oatmeal prepared 
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon 
optional: 1/3 cup of apple juice 

Directions:
In large pot boil 2 1/2 cups of water.  Peel, remove core, and cut apples into thin, small pieces.  Place apple pieces in boiling water and "boil down" until they are soft.  Add cinnamon at the same time as the apples so that they absorb the flavor. (the timing really depends on the apple.  To boil down means that they water is almost gone from the mixture, and the apples are very soft.  I usually let my apples boil 20-25 minutes just to be safe.)  While the apples boil, prepare the instant oatmeal.  If you prefer something that isn't instant, prepare the oats per directions.  Let both apples and oats cool.  Later, place apples, oats, and apple juice in a blender, food processor, bullet or other blending device and puree until smooth.  Freeze in ice cube trays and store frozen in air tight container. Let thaw in room temperature, or warm 2-3 cubes in microwave in glass dish for 30-45 seconds. 

1 comment:

  1. What great recipes! I love the idea of exposing them to different flavors like that at an early age-I SO wish I would have done that with Ingrid!

    ReplyDelete