Sunday, January 1, 2012

Recipe Monday- A Healthier Year!

Ahh, 2011 came and went so quickly!  At this time last year, I was anxiously awaiting a positive sign on a pregnancy test.  Hoping, wishing, praying and waiting... I definitely got my beautiful wish and prayer, Miss Evelynn Mae.  Now that I am 3.5 months postpartum, I am, for the first time in my life, making a few New Years resolutions.  

First, we plan to do Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover this year.  My mom gave us his book for Christmas, but I didn't finish it.  When a friend recommended Emealz.com to me, I remembered that I wanted to look further into the Total Money Makeover for our family.  So, Matt and I are reading a few chapters every night after Evie goes to bed, and we are making a plan.  With being a stay at home mom, and buying a house this spring, we definitely need to come up with a budget to keep our family safe and get out of debt.  

My second resolution, to lose this baby weight and get my sexy body back.  Yes, that one that I had at my wedding. The one that drown in that size 6 dress... yep, that one.   I want it back.  So, I joined the iVillage Community Weight Loss Challenge.  Their goal is to lose 15 pounds from January 2nd-February 14th.  They email daily goals and plans to accomplish this goal.  I'm looking at losing around 10 pounds to get back to my goal weight, and to fit back into my clothes.  The money and weight loss situations go hand and hand, therefore... my goal is to lose weight, and not buy any more clothes. 

SO... being that it is January 1st, and my weight loss goal starts tomorrow and my money goal starts today... why not post a recipe that relates to both?  Who doesn't love being healthy and saving money at the same time?

Here is a great one that I plan on making for dinner tomorrow night.  

(Photo and Recipe from: Eatin' on The Cheap)

Baked Chicken Fajitas
adapted from Taste of Home Magazine
serves 4 – 6
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
1 medium onion, sliced
1 large bell pepper, seeded and sliced
2 T vegetable oil
2 t. chili powder
2 t. cumin
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. dried oregano
1/4 t. salt
12 flour tortillas, warmed to serve
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 13×9 baking dish. Mix together chicken, tomatoes, chilies, peppers, and onions in the dish. In a small bowl combine the oil and spices. Drizzle the spice mixture over the chicken and toss to coat. Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender. Serve with warmed tortillas and enjoy!!

I will be serving these with whole wheat tortillas!  Enjoy!


Menu Monday:
Monday: Dinner at the Conners, Spaghetti
Tuesday: Oven baked Fajitas
Wednesday: Bruchetta Chicken, roasted zuchini, spinach salad
Thursday: Stuffed peppers, broccoli, cottage cheese
Friday: Chicken Caesar salads
Saturday: Chili and cornbread
Sunday: Veggie Pizza (cauliflower dough)

2 comments:

  1. mmmm. . . I think we need the recipe for roasted red peppers! BTW our goals this year are totally the same- money, meals & weight and for Miss. Hazel : a sleep schedule!

    Can't wait to see how this year goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recipe for roasted red peppers? Yes, those are definitely the goals for this year! I'm certainly motivated by how many people have the same goals! It'll be great to see the results!

    ReplyDelete