Monday, November 28, 2011

Recipe Monday- Harvest Vegetable Soup -or- "Fridge Soup"

Hey y'all! 
First off, I want to apologize for being MIA lately.  I've so badly wanted to keep up with this blog, but the 2 month old baby, 2 year old toddler, husband, and household have definitely been keeping me on my toes!  Everyone is doing great in our family!  Evie has started sleeping 8 hours at night, then another 5 after she eats for about 10-15 minutes.  Ellie has totally adjusted to her sister and loves her more than anything.  And...since Ellie has adjusted, we are going to start potty training THIS WEEK!  She went both number 1 and 2 in a potty last week, so I think she's ready.  All I ask is... Heaven have mercy on us!  I feel like I get pretty stressed out already, but I'm excited for this step! 

Anyway!  I made this soup for my family last night and it was a total hit!  They call it "Fridge Soup" because you can put whatever you have left over in your fridge, which is just what I did.  I added turkey leftovers as well as veggies from a veggie tray that my mom sent home with us.  It made about 10 cups of soup, so we all devoured a bowl, and I froze the rest in meals for Matt to take to work.  Super handy!  And we had everything but the broth and cream cheese at home!  

Enjoy!



Harvest Vegetable Soup
1 medium onion, chopped
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 cups chicken stock (you can use vegetable stock if you prefer to keep it vegetarian)
5 – 6 medium red potatoes, cubed
vegetables of choice
1/2 cube of butter (1/4 cup)
1/2 cup of flour
4 cups milk
4 – 8 ounces cream cheese
2 cups cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1 shot of Tabasco (optional)
In a large stock pot, pour in 1 tablespoon of olive oil and saute onion until translucent.  Pour in chicken stock and chopped potatoes.  Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.  Cover with a lid.
Prepare remaining vegetables into bite sized pieces.  In a large pan, saute vegetables until starting to soften and golden.  Remove to a plate and set aside.  Add butter and allow to melt.  Slowly whisk in the flour and allow to cook for 1 minute while stirring to make a roux.  Whisk in the milk and allow to thicken.
Pour thickened milk into the stock pot with stock.  Add the remaining vegetables.  Add cream cheese by pinching into smaller pieces.  Add grated cheddar cheese.  Allow cheeses to melt.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Serve immediately.
(If you do make this soup ahead, don’t cook it all day.  You don’t want overcooked vegetables.  Refrigerate and heat before serving.  You may need to add some chicken stock to get a good consistency.)

Recipe and photo from Make It Do.

3 comments:

  1. Is that what your dishes look like? if those are your dishes they are very cute and the soup sounds good also :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I wish! This is a photo that I borrowed from the recipe site. They are super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for posting this--it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete