Wednesday, June 1, 2011

How to make a regular pair of jeans into Maternity Jeans in 10 easy steps!


Hey lovely mamas, 

If you're anything like me, a girl with longer legs who has a strict budget... it can be SUPER hard to find a good pair of maternity jeans.  This is my second pregnancy, so I have a few pairs from before, but they aren't pants that I actually like to wear or feel comfortable in after week 20.  I've been looking for a pair of the "real waist" maternity jeans, you know, the ones like our toddlers wear with elastic and buttons on the inside?  Yeah, they're incredibly expensive!  So, I just decided, I'm doing it... I'm making my own.  
So, I found a pair of really nice jeans at our local Savers, and came up with the plan.  Again, I hate the full panel jeans, so I thought I'd try to make the panel as small as possible, leaving as much of the jeans regular as I could. This is how I did it.  



Maternity Jeans from Thrifted Regular Jeans.

You will need: 
-A pair of jeans that are 1-2 sizes bigger than your pre-pregnancy size.
(I went 2 so that I could wear them all throughout.)
You should be able to zip them, not button them, and be able to slip them over your hips.
- An old t-shirt, or a small strip of jersey/ribbed fabric.
-Scissors
-Seam rippers
-A sewing machine
-Pins
-Coordinating thread


Step one: Use your seam rippers to pull only the top panel of your jeans off.  This is the part with the button on it.  You will only be pulling to the sides of the jeans.  Do not rip the seam any further than the side seam that runs lengthwise up and down the leg of the jeans.

Step 2:  Cut off the panel on the sides.

Step 3: Take out the zipper using your seam rippers.  You don't have to take the seam all the way out, just enough to take the metal part of the zipper out.  This is to prevent you from ruining your sewing machine since we will be sewing the zipper shut.


Step 4: Cut a chunk of jersey fabric according to the size of the front panel that is missing on your jeans.  Be sure to cut it an inch or two more lengthwise.  You should cut it about 3-4 times the width of the panel missing.  So, mine was about 4 inches wide.  This is just to make sure you don't run out of the jersey panel while sewing it on.  We will be trimming at the end to neaten it up.
Step 5: Sew your zipper shut.  Depending on how your jeans are, you might have to sew a few ways.  Just make sure the flap on the inside is secure and that the outside is sewn completely shut.

Step 6: Sew the jersey panel on the outside of the jeans.  You will be flipping it up, so lay your raw edge against the jeans as I did in this photo.  Pin first to make sure you have cut enough fabric and that it stays in place.  Sew bottom on and flip the panel up so that the seam is hidden.


Step 7: Fold over the sides and pin them as I did in this photo and pin.  Sew sides.

Step 8: Completely fold over the panel so that it is now double sided.  Make sure the top of the panel runs along the same edges as the jeans so that it's not super uneven.  Pin it in place.  You should iron it so that the panel stays the same while sewing.

Step 9: Sew the back of the panel.  Once you have finished, trim the back of the panel.  This seam doesn't need to be super pretty since it's on the inside and won't be seen.


Step10: Put your cute pants on that cute belly and enjoy the comfort of not looking like a bubble butt!



Enjoy!  If you have any questions, please feel free to email me!  

1 comment: