Monday, May 2, 2011

Tutorial Tuesday- Rolled Rosette Necklace

 Rolled Rosette Necklace

Here it is, y'all!  My first real tutorial.  I made this necklace for myself so that I would have more to accessorize with during my pregnancy.  With the saggy-butt maternity pants, and feeling like I look like a giant walking pear, I will do whatever it takes to feel like I am still somewhat fashionable.  Anyway- let me know if you have any questions!  These necklaces are also on sale in my Etsy shop.



 Here's what you'll need:
- Fabric of your choice- no more than an 1/8 of an yard at most.  (I used some scraps)
- Felt
-Glue gun and glue sticks
-10-12 inches of chain
-A clasp
-Scissors
-Thread and needle (not pictured)


Step one: Cut strips of fabric, I usually cut on the fold to save time, just two at first.  
You can always cut more! I cut them about an inch thick. 



 Step two:  Next, put a dot of glue at the end of a strip. 

 Step three: Fold over and press.  

Step 5:  Roll fabric a few times, and put some glue on the bottom. 

  
 Step six: Place rolled fabric strip onto felt, leaving enough room to roll fabric around it. 
Step seven: Gently roll the fabric.

 Step eight: glue around the fabric that is already attached, only half around at a time so the glue doesn't die too fast.  Place rolled fabric tightly around the already attached piece and press down. 


 Step nine:  Continue until you have gone around enough to make your desired size.  This is one of my small flowers, so I only went around a few times.  You will be making a total of 8 flowers, 4 small, 2 medium, and 2 large.  The large ones measure around 1.5 inches, and small ones around .75 inches.  When you've reached your desired size, cut the fabric and glue it down to not only the felt, but your flower as well.

Step ten: Make 8 of your flowers in sizes like I described above.  
Step eleven: Cut out all of your flowers closely from the sheet of felt. 
Step twelve: Start with your two largest flowers and glue the sides together so that they are directly side-by-side. 
Step thirteen: Continue on, making a U-shape with your flowers.  You can test the width of the "U" when the glue dries with each flower, making sure it is the width you'd like for yourself.  

Step fourteen: Here's a photo of the back.  I flip it over when all of the flowers are attached and make sure they are all the way attached down to the felt part.  I sometimes flue the back and smooth it over with my finger to make sure it's sturdy.  Be careful not to burn your finger though!
Step fifteen:  I just glue the chain to the felt directly, but you can sew it as well depending on what kind of chain you have.  Add your clasp to each side, and you're finished!  Try it on and admire your hard work, but cheap price! 



Please feel free to share your finished Rolled Rosette Necklace photo, and I will post it in next week's tutorial.  To share, please email your photo to abigayleconner[at]gmail[dot]com!

Love this necklace?!  I'm giving one away on June 10th.  Go here to enter the give-away! 

1 comment: