Sunday, May 1, 2011

Recipe Monday

-An Easy Meal Idea & A Few Healthy Snack Ideas- 
 I realize these are all very simple ideas, but when I am trying to make a menu and grocery list, I
always have a hard time coming up with ideas.  Now that it's somewhat nice outside, I like to have a few nights where we make dinner quick and get outside to play.  That doesn't mean we have to trade healthy food for short time.   So, here are some of my favorite easy and cheap meal ideas. 
 

Easy meal idea: 
Loaded Baked Potato Bar
Ingredients- (Serves two)
- 2 Large potatoes, baked (I wash them, rub them with a little butter, put salt on the outside and wrap them in tin foil for a little added flavor.)
- Steamed broccoli
- Cooked bacon, chopped
- Sliced cheddar 
- Tomatoes
- Sliced grilled chicken breast
- Sour Cream -or- Ranch
- Salt & Pepper


Directions: 
Everything can be made ahead of time and heated up for dinner.  I like to make a little "bar" of the ingredients that we can put into our potatoes.  You can add so many other things as well- more veggies such as carrots, onions, shallots, chives, etc.  I've also seen recipes that call for sliced steak.  I serve this with a small salad and it's healthy, loaded with protein and veggies, as well as filling and easy!  

 -Snacks-
People ask me how I stay so thin, even throughout pregnancy.  First off, I don't feel thin during pregnancy, so thank you!  Secondly, I have my mother's genes to thank for the high metabolism.  I do take pride in eating pretty healthy.  Sure, sure, I like McDonald's as much as the next person, but here are some of my favorite snacks.  They're easy, healthy, and most importantly, so yummy!


Whole grain chips & Guacamole (enough for 2-3 people 
Not only are avocados fat-free, but they are loaded with nutrients such as vitamins A, C, D, E & K, as well as a wonderful source of potassium and protein. 
I owe it to my sister-in-law Emma for showing me how to make super good Guac!
(This was a single serving.)


Ingredients:
1-2 small ripe Avocados
1/4 small red onion, diced
pinch of salt & pinch of pepper
1 t. lime juice


Directions: Slice avocado in half, and cut eat side into small squares.  Scoop out chunks, and with a fork mash avocado chunks.  Mash to your liking- our family likes to leave a few small chunks.  Add onions, salt and pepper, and lime juice.  Enjoy with your favorite chips! (Some people put cilantro in as well but I wouldn't know how much to tell you to put in because I can't even stand being in the same room as the stuff!)

tip:  Keep avocado seed and place in guacamole to keep it green longer.  Also, add diced tomatoes to make it even more yummy!


Sliced Tomatoes (one of my all-time favorites)
 Tomatoes are a great source of vitamin C.  They are also listed as one of the vegetables (or fruits, if you're one of those people) that are known to help prevent cancer. 



Directions: Simply slice tomatoes and sprinkle with either sugar or salt.  I usually eat 3-4 slices. 


No comments:

Post a Comment