Monday, April 25, 2011

Tutorial Tuesday- Maternity Shirt

 Making a Maternity Shirt from a thrifted top and stashed fabric!

I LOVE the idea of making something I will wear a lot out of something I haven't worn in years, or that I have found for an insanely good deal.  I took a tank top from Forever 21, and fabric that I got on super sale and make a top that I can wear throughout all 9 months of my pregnancy.  The most important part?  I can feel cute even though I am ginormous!
Here is a tutorial that I found using a round up on a blog that I follow. (I forget which one.)  There are a few things that I changed, and I have a few tips for you.  Click HERE to see it. 
The things that I changed:
-I used a tank top since I'll be pregnant during the hotter months.
-I used cotton fabric so that I wouldn't have to wear another shirt under the one that I make.
-I  did not cut the sides like she did in the tutorial.  I didn't think it looked very neat, and my shirt isn't quite as long as hers.  

TIPS:
When cutting the bottom panels: This lady doesn't really tell you how much fabric to cut for the bottom part.  What I did was measured around my waist, or around where an empire waist would fall (typically right below the breasts) So my measurement was 31 inches with my bra on.  (Make sure you measure with a bra on since the underwire might make a difference when wearing the shirt.) So I added another 13 inches onto that since I would make around 8 cinches in the front at about 1/2 each.  This will be the bunching you need for your belly to grow into.  Make sense?  Just make sure you have more than enough fabric to go around not only your natural waist, but your growing belly and hips.  More is better than not enough, like my mistake, now I have a dumb seam running up the right side of my back from adding more fabric.  We live and learn, right? :)
For added decoration: I didn't want to have to wear another tank top under this shirt, and since the top I got (for 1.00 mind you!) from Forever 21 is super thin, I thought I'd add a little something to cover up the front.  I cut the bottom part of my tank top off, and then cut it into strips, then just sewed on those strips to the top part before I added the bottom panel.  I just took each strip and folded it in every which way, eye balling it, into circles and filling in the other parts until I was satisfied.  I made sure to back-stitch the beginnings and ends of each strip so that they'd stay on nicely.  

Any questions?  Let me know and I'll try to answer them!  This isn't the easiest tutorial right away, but after the first one, it'll only take about an hour to make one! 

Here's my finished product.  I'm super happy with myself!


Pretty awesome!!

Lots of room to grow!

Remember to check out this week's give away, ending on June 10th!  Go here to enter. 

13 comments:

  1. This is ADORABLE!!! I've been staring at it for a couple of days trying to get the nerve up to sew this. Did you sew elastic under your bustline? Do you think it would work without the elastic?
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyce- So sorry it took so long to get back to you. Thanks for the compliments! I don't think it would work without the elastic, to be honest. Otherwise the stitches might could be broken when you put it on, you know? If you try it out, let me know! It might work, but my guess is it won't. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the compliments, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very new to sewing, and I found your tutorial through pinterest. Is there any way you could be more specific as to how you created the ruffles? I love them! Did you start with a plain t-shirt without ruffles? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is adorable! I'm goign to see if my pregnant sister-in-law would like a few. I hope she does.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute! Great job; thanks for entering this in One Crafty Contest! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute! I'm checking out my competition for the One Crafty Contest. You get my vote :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so cute! I am going to have to try this for my next pregnancy! I am visiting form the One Artsy Mama Craft Contest. I am a new follower! I hope you will stop by http://www.garagesalesrus.blogspot.com/ and do the same.

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  9. when you attach the bottom to the top part, did you sew your seam line above the elastic? I've been trying to figure this out for the last fifteen minutes, I guess I could just ask. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this also! I've been admiring it for years.. saved in Pinterest. I might finally have a reason for making it.. fingers crossed.. I love the fabric choice for the bottom portion. I know it's been years, but I'm hoping you can remember anything about it. What would you call the flower name on the print? And the elastic, since I'm new to sewing.. could you elaborate on that as well. Thanks.. much appreciated!!
    Ali

    ReplyDelete