Monday, April 4, 2011

Recipe Monday- Lefse

Now, this recipe isn't for most, but it IS for me.  I need to keep this in the archives so I don't lose it.
I feel like while we live in Minneapolis, closest to Matt's family, a lot of my family and childhood traditions are left behind.  Whenever we drive by certain places I hear of Matt's wonderful memories, whenever we are together with his family, we talk about childhood jokes, memories, and times...but... I'm 100 miles away from where I grew up, and from my family.  Although, I never travel back to Blooming Prairie where I was raised, there are many traditions I still have going, and one I'd like to keep is making a Norwegian bread called Lefse
I grew up making lefse for the holidays.  We'd set out a big table in the garage and cook it all day.  I can smell it cooking now, mmm, my mouth is watering.  The mess was unbelievable, but totally worth it! Flour everywhere, all over the garage, our hair, our faces, our clothes.  Everywhere!  It is by far one of my favorite memories growing up.  I hope I can raise Eleanor and my other kids making this tradition. I've been bugging my brother to get our family lefse recipe for about a year now, but no success.  This is the closest I can remember so far, other than a few things: keeping the dough cold over night (leaving it outside in a safe place, covered, in the snow works.) and adding more flour as we move in batches to the house from outside.  I remember it's SO important to keep the dough cold, otherwise it will become even more wet and ruin the roller sock and pastry board cloth. 
Anyway, more so for myself... here's the recipe with the most cred. 

LEFSE


Ingredients

  • 10 pounds potatoes, peeled
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/3 cup heavy cream
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Directions

  1. Cover potatoes with water and cook until tender. Run hot potatoes through a potato ricer. Place into a large bowl. Beat butter, cream, salt, and sugar into the hot riced potatoes. Let cool to room temperature.
  2. Stir flour into the potato mixture. Pull off pieces of the dough and form into walnut size balls. Lightly flour a pastry cloth and roll out lefse balls to 1/8 inch thickness.
  3. Cook on a hot (400 degree F/200 C) griddle until bubbles form and each side has browned. Place on a damp towel to cool slightly and then cover with damp towel until ready to serve.


1 comment:

  1. Nathan's grandparent Wunrow's serve it at Christmas. I don't think they actually make it themselves, but they do serve it. Pretty yummy! :) I'm glad you're gonna make sure some of your traditions stay afloat. We're super close to a lot of Nathan's family up here, so we spend a lot of holidays with them. So, I miss my family traditions. I try to keep some of my own going (like fruit salad with homemade whipped cream -ooooo).

    ReplyDelete