Monday, January 3, 2011

Recipe Monday

Lately I've been looking for some easy, fun ideas for side dishes.  I always like to have a protein, vegetable (potatoes don't count) good carb, and dairy with every meal that my family eats.  Usually Matt will eat anything I make (example, last week while I was sick, he ate cucumber sandwiches and chicken soup every day...poor guy.) and Eleanor will eat almost anything other than the orange foods and some pastas.  As for me?  I need new things.  I can't eat the same 7 meals over and over again, and I'm still that person who would love to be a vegetarian again... Those two years of my life were the healthiest years of my life food wise.  Anyway- I've been searching for healthy, but fast veggie side dishes.  Here are two that I really love:

 Cheese Crusted Squash.

Directions

Mix 2 minced garlic cloves, 8 minced sage leaves, the zest of 1 lemon, 1/2 cup grated parmesan, 3 tablespoons each breadcrumbs and olive oil, and some salt and red pepper flakes. Pat onto thin wedges of acorn squash (I like acorn better than butternut, butternut is just too pumpkin-y for me.). Bake in a single layer at 450 degrees F, 15 to 20 minutes.

Baby Carrots with Sweet Ginger Glaze

Ingredients

  • 2 pounds fresh baby carrots, cleaned, tops trimmed to 1/2-inch
  • Sea salt, or other good finishing salt
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons finely diced crystallized ginger
  • Freshly ground white pepper

Directions

In a shallow saucepan, over low heat, add the carrots and cover with water. Add a pinch of salt and bring the water to a simmer. Cover them with a parchment round set over and touching the simmering water to get a perfect steam. Remove carrots from the water when they are almost fork tender and drain.

In a medium saute pan, over low heat, add the butter and stir in the chopped crystallized ginger. Allow the sugar from the ginger to melt into the butter, and then transfer the steamed carrots to the pan. Toss gently for approximately 2 minutes until the carrots are completely coated with the ginger butter. Finish with a pinch of salt and a crack of freshly ground white pepper. Serve immediately.




 (Recipes from foodnetwork.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment